On January 4th, 2015, I finally got to this Brewer’s Best Brown Porter BIAB kit I have had sitting around for a while now. This kit was on sale at my LHBS for half off or $19.99! I thought it would be an easy way to get into all-grain brewing.
On to the brew day! Ill try doing this with photos:
What I learned from this brew day:
– My bucket heater is too short to heat the full amount of sparge water. I need something on the bottom of the HLT to lift if about two inches so I can get the full amount heated. It might take longer than an hour to heat that much water to 168deg, I’ll see what I can come up with.
– I really liked the BIAB bag as a false bottom. No problems while sparging and I just lifted the sack to remove the grains. Easy.
– I need a brew stand. I could have boiled the full 8 gallon pot if I didn’t have to move it to the burner. Still worked fine. Maybe I’ll get a new pot too.
– I did have two hop additions, 0.5 oz of Brewer’s Gold at 60 minutes and 0.5 oz Northern Brewer at 30 minutes.
– I need a wort chiller. With the water temps in the summer here in Phoenix, I might need two. Now, do I build one or buy one? I think I might make one out of copper to put in an ice bath and buy a stainless one to put in the wort. We’ll see.
– Sorry, no photo of the original gravity (OG), ended up at 1.060.
– Almost forgot. I broke my hydrometer when I was cleaning up… Luckily I have a spare!
So far so good on my first all-grain (AG) batch. I have a video of me sparging if that is of any interest to anyone. Maybe a YouTube channel?
Thanks for your time!