Brew Day 5: German Pilsner

posted in: Brew Days | 0

It has been a while since I got a chance to brew, and to post.  Things have been crazy at home.  We have been in the middle of purchasing a home and we were expecting the birth of our daughter a week or two after we closed on the house.  Turns out we ended up having her two days after we moved!  I was able to get together with my brother a week or so later and turn out a pilsner I had been wanting to make for a while now.

I originally bought a Brewer’s Best German Pilsner BIAB kit that was on sale at my LHBS for $20.00 USD.  I pretty much just used the pilsner malt and the hops for this brew because I added some melandoidin malt, some carapils, and bought 2 packs of Saflager S-23.  I just threw the priming super in with my larger batch and added the bottle caps to the stash.

Here is a tip:  If you are interested in trying out an kit, try and find the PDF instructions for the recipe at the kit maker’s site and see if buying the ingredients can be had for cheaper at your LHBS or online.  I have found that the PDF’s sometimes do not show the type of yeast so you can do some research to see what it best or choose whatever you like. You can possibly save some money this way.

At the time of this post, this brew is currently force carbonating in the keg and should be ready soon.  I will post an update on my Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram accounts when I draw my first (clear) pour.

Click HERE for 25% almost EVERYTHING HOMEBREW SALE going on until July 14th, if you are insterested!

Ok, on to the brew day!

Improvised a bit to crush
Improvised a bit to crush
Mash pH in range
Mash pH in range
Only lost 1F in 60 min
Only lost 1F in 60 min
Pre-boil gravity 1.036
Pre-boil gravity 1.036ish
Make-shift brew area
Make-shift brew area
The hops
The hops
Jack in the Box tacos, BAM!
Jack in the Box tacos, BAM!
Pool water to help chill
Pool water to help chill
Close enough
Close enough
Original gravity 1.050
Original gravity 1.050ish
Oxygen for the yeast
Oxygen for the yeast
And into the fermenter!
And into the fermenter!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-I could barely find all my equipment because I haven’t un-fucked my garage situation yet.  I am working on getting things in order in there, so we decided my sons hockey sticks would be able to help with the crush using my grain mill.

-I made a mistake and swapped the .5oz hop additions during the boil.  Oh well.

-After cooling the wort with the pool water, I used a pump and an ice chest full of ice water to help my immersion chiller get the wort to 56F/13C.  I probably should have went lower at first, Ill try and remember that for next time.

-I decided to use the quick lager method posted over at Brulosophy.com.  I do not want to wait a month or two for a beer to be ready because I have nothing on tap at the moment so I am giving this method a go.

And that is it.  The brew day went pretty well considering my shit was all over the place.  Once I arrange my garage, things should go a lot smoother.  The only problem I have with my brewing area is cooling water.  The water faucet is outside on the opposite side of the house, and the pool is obviously in the back yard.  I will have to see what I am going to do about this in the future.  For now I will just continue carrying the pot to the water source and using my chest and chiller to get my wort to pitching temps.

Thanks for stopping by!  Cheers.

 

 

Leave a Reply