A Mosaic American Wheat. This brew day commenced at the last minute on one of my days off. I based it off of a recipe I found on HomeBrewTalk. With ZERO organization in my garage and a couple brew day problems, it was a rough one. I missed most of my gravities, cooling the wort was a mess, and I could not find anything I needed as fast as I would have liked.
It started with me missing my mash temp by about one degree (not the end of the world, but it bugged me). My starting gravity was estimated to be about 1.038 and I hit it on the nose, then it went downhill from there. My post boil gravity, or OG, was estimated to be about 1.049 and I got a 1.043. The wort was cooled to about 60F/15C for the hydrometer reading so that wasn’t the problem. Then after fermentation was finished the beer only fermented down to 1.013! WTF. I enjoy flavorful beers low in ABV and this one had me wondering if it would have been better if I had hit my original gravity. I need to take a step back and review my settings in BeerSmith: I don’t think my boil off rate and volumes are correct.
After the boil, things got stupid. I decided it would be a good idea to use the pool water to cool the wort down to below 100F/38C, then use the cooler filled with ice water to get it to my desired pitching temp of 65F/18C. This worked well on the previous brew day. Well, getting the pot to the pool by myself sucked. I used a hand truck to get the pot to the pool… Yeah, that was a bad idea. I didn’t spill anything but maneuvering the pot was a pain in the ass. Once I got the wort next to the pool, my pump decided to take a shit and would not get any water up from the pool and into the chiller. FUCK. Ok, so I ran to the water hose and hooked it up to the chiller so I can use the hose water to cool and just put the hot water into the pool. It worked great until one of the hoses that was clamped to the end of the chiller decided to pop off! I got some hose water in the wort and I was sure that this batch was screwed. I reattached the hose and took the wort back to the garage and just decided to place it in the ferm chamber until it was at pitching temps. Ugh.
My garage is still a little out of whack. I still need to get another shelving unit so I can keep things organized. Once that is in place and I get some bins, things should be in order. Still, my brew days are suffering with all my equipment all over the place. I am liking the Blichmann Floor Burner with the 24″ leg extensions. If everything goes as planned, it will be the perfect height for draining my mash tun and transferring to the carboy.
My Recipe: Mosaic Wheat
Here is the brew day. Let me know if there are other parts of the brew day you would like to see pictures of: